Who is appropriate for Vestibular Rehabilitation?
Individuals who report any or all of the following symptoms as a result of a vestibular disorder –
• Balance Problems
• Motion sensitivity (quick head movements provoke dizziness)
• Problems with gaze stability (blurring of vision with head movement)
The vestibular disorders may be caused by –
• Head Trauma (MVA, falls, impact sports)
• Ear Infections, including vestibular neuronitis and labyrinthitis
• Illness or disease
• Insidious onset such as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
• Stroke and brain injury
What can you expect?
Vestibular Rehabilitation is a specialized physiotherapy treatment program that is individualized for each client. Vestibular Rehabilitation is an exercise-based approach to relieve the symptoms and discomfort of vestibular disorders.
A thorough assessment is performed focused on functioning in 3 areas –
• Eye and Head coordination
• Balance and gait
• Motion sensitivity
Following the initial assessment, treatment may include –
• Balance Retraining Exercises
• Specific Vestibular Exercises
• Supervised therapy sessions to monitor progress & continually challenge the vestibular, visual & balance systems
• Repositioning maneuver for B.P.P.V. (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo)
For more information please contact Infinity Physio Centre 250.362.7333